Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Art of Recreation - Running

Just over a year ago I slipped on a new pair of running shoes. I had never been much of a runner much of my life, but I had spontaneously set a goal for myself. I wanted to run the New York City Marathon. I don't know what overcame me but after a couple of gut-busting, calf burning two miles runs, I knew I had my work cut out for me.

After a good six months of training I watched myself progress as a wannabe athlete. I was soon running 30+ miles a week going out for anywhere between 45 minutes and 2 hours. I explored the city and the sport all summer and in November of 2011 I made my way to the big apple.

It was a grueling 26.2 miles but I made it out alive. Forget the training, the marathon was unlike anythingin I had ever seen. Thousands of people of New York natives waved and cheered while thousands more runners took over the streets.When it was all said and done with, the NYC marathon was a remarkable experience that I will always remember. But life does go on...

Its been over a half year since the marathon; and one long, cold winter. I ran on a treadmill every now and then but nothing came close to marathon training. As the warm weather has begun to settle in, I find myself thinking about old routes around town and have urges to put on the running shoes. It's become an itch that I seem unable to scratch. Out there on the streets, time and time again, I always get a taste of what I am looking for, all thewhile diving further into understanding the art of running.

In a time of my life where I have responsibilities in many different areas, (student, son, brother, part-time employee, job-seeker, peer, person), running allows me to be naked in a sea of uniforms. Out on the streets I am only racing myself. 

My thoughts carry me most of the way. Thoughts about the present, the past, and a lot about the future. For those brief moments when I can take a step back from reality I can usually see everything a little clearer. It gives me time to think, or time not to think, depending on the day.  

Running is more then mediation though, it builds your muscles and strengthens your character. I have learned a lot from running that can be applied to my everyday life. I now better understand that with progress, planning, and determination; any goal can be reached. I can also appreciate that the most rewarding work comes during the hardest of times.

I've also been more in-tune with my body. I can feel the effects of different foods on my energy and well-being, I know when I am tired and need to hit the brakes, and I've also realised that the human body is not only capable or doing amazing things, but it yearns for it.

Running has added value to my life, a value I hope to never lose. If you feel the same about any other recreational sport or activity, I'd love to hear about it.

Adios Amigos,

Brad Lane




No comments:

Post a Comment