Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Art of Recreation - A Love Story

   Recreation plays a large role in my life. If money was no issue I would spend all day running around in the grass, throwing a Frisbee, or just working up a good sweat (which isn't hard to do during the Iowa summer). There is a certain feeling that leaves itself lodged in the back of my head that I just can't seem to get enough of. It's a primal feeling of conquest and yearning. I yearn to feel my muscles and brain working in unity, to feel my body doing what it knows how to do best. It's like an automobile for me, I don't have the thing just to see it sit in my driveway. I have it so I can feel the push of the engine and the rotation of the tires as I make a turn.
 
   Recreation just doesn't allow my body to move, it teaches my mind new tricks. Within recreation are embedded a lot of mental workouts. Recreation provides an outlet for my brain to think. When I go outside to climb a tree or run down the street, it allows my brain to be engaged, to think practically about the world around me. In those instances were my body and brain work on reactions, on autopilot, it gives me the chance to think about what else is going on around me. It allows me to think of my relationships, my present situations, and about the future. It allows me to relax and to see the pleasure in the small things, like a really good branch to perch on or a cool breeze pushing at my back.

Recreation provides us that outlet to relax, to meditate the present while still being a part of it. It makes my body feel tired when my brain is tired and makes about any food I eat turn into the most delicious meal of a lifetime. Besides all of that, Recreation hosts numerous values and lessons to be learned that have the ability to shape a person.

Featured throughout this blog I hope to dwell deeper upon specific recreational activities and the values they conjure and the lessons they teach. These are the same lessons and values that make recreation both fun and difficult at times. These are the lessons that bring you back for more and have you tired and drenched in sweat afterwards.

Take running for instance. An example of a value taught through running is understanding true progress. Most people can't run 26 miles right off the couch. But anyone, and I mean anyone, can hit the pavement, train there bodies and mind, and eventually run a marathon (if not more). Along the way the value of progress shines through as you watch yourself slowly build up stamina and begin running longer and longer.

The value of progress can then be applied to situations without running shoes. Whether it be your goals in business, life, or pleasure - anything is possible. You just have to make progress.

I will begin diving deeper into different realms of recreational activity, specifically running, rock climbing, and other fun stuff. If you have any thoughts on the concept, please let me know!

Adios Amigos,

BDL

No comments:

Post a Comment