Monday, August 22, 2011

Quotes and Things

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison ------------->

This is the chosen quote for the classroom supplement of my new internship. I think it is fitting and already the father of the light bulb's words are resonating.

The work so far is not technically difficult by any means (unless you have a hard time filing and entering data into a computer). But the broader picture of not only fitting this internship into my life, but also benefiting from it, looks and smells a lot like work.

I've begun to realize that the difference between college life and work like is not that different. Albeit I am working an internship accompanied with a class, and am still technically in school, it is different. Everyone back in Iowa City started the first day of classes today meaning they woke up, went to class, ate lunch, read a syllabus or two, and relished the beautiful day in between. It is different now.

But my life is still how it was. I still enjoy doing the things I enjoyed in school. I still like to read, write, exercise, lounge, laugh, and play. I just suddenly have less time to do it in. And that's where the work comes into play.

The true work is understanding what is important to me. What do I want out of life? With a sudden scarcity of leisure time I must commit what I have to what I love. Just as important though I hope to make this internship not just 40 hours of my week wasted (like some sort of bizarre commatose) but instead to learn from it. I'm sure I'll learn some accounting skills (Woo!) but ideally I will be learning some life facts and begin to understand where the roller coaster might be take me next.

Over and Out,

BDL

No comments:

Post a Comment