Monday, August 29, 2011

One Step at a Time

And so it begins. I have started my fundraising quest to raise $1,000 for the American Cancer Society. The countdown is ticking and I have less then fifty days. I have to admit, I am somewhat nervous about this endeavor. What have I gotten myself into? Can I really raise all this money I impulsively pledged to raise? It's questions like these that can keep me rolling awake at night, fidgeting underneath the sheets of commitment. It is the worry and the anticipation of the unknown that make me sit down for a second and think about the big picture. After all, it takes a lot of steps to run a marathon...

Here is the progress so far: I have made donation jars (-->) and started to go around to local businesses to see if anyone wants to become a "donation location." Big thanks to The Running Room (West Des Moines), Play-it-Again Sports (Clive), and Fitness Sports (Windsor Heights) for not only accepting the jars but encouraging me as well. Also big thanks to Kelly Cooper who helped me out of a jam when I locked my keys in my car (it was a long morning).

Second initiative: Put on a Frisbee Golf Charity Classic. This one is taking some more work. I have made numerous calls out to different Des Moines Disc Golfers who have had a lot of experience with the sport and tournament hosting. They have all been really helpful but it is growing clear that it is really going to come down to me taking charge and stepping up. The blind leading the blind. All I need is some more momentum though. Expect posters by the end of the week!!

So yes, I feel the water slightly rising over my head, the salty taste of defeat not far away. But all I have to do is make progress, to run uphill and out of worry, all I have to do is keep at it. Right???

Good timber does not grow with ease. The stronger the wind the stronger the trees.
~ J. Willard Marriott
(cheesy?? I hope so!)

Gotta Love It
Over and Out,                                                        
BDL

No comments:

Post a Comment