Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful

What's the deal Iowa? What happened to Spring time and my evenings playing in the falling sunshine? Lately it's been all rainy mornings and wet afternoons. And if not that, you've been hanging around 95 degrees a bit and are always inviting the gnats and mosquito's.

It's a lesson I should have learned by now, yet I am always surprised at the variations involved in Iowa's climate. It can catch you off guard. My best advice on packing for any trip in Iowa is wear what's comfortable at the exact moment, and pack different clothes for the exact opposite weather. And if you bring a rain-coat, it will never rain.

It's not all bad though. A four-season year (5 if you count thunderstorms as a separate season) does allow you to appreciate the different climates. It's the Yin-Yang effect, the good and the bad, and sometimes the downright ugly. Weather of 80 degrees and sunny seems like a distant world when snow and below freezing winds cover the state. Remembering my frozen past always makes the glow of the sun a little warmer. And these days, a different warmth of opened eyes and freshness blankets over me as the sun breaks through the storm clouds.

Iowa Weather, you are a fickle beast and I am never content on neither loving nor hating you just quite yet....

Go Out and Play


-Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment