Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Golf... And the End of Man-Kind

Never could I believe such a tranquil sport could bring out the animal in me. Never before have I said so many consecutive curse words in front of my parents. And still to this day I can't seem to play golf well... or at least consistently.

I spent last weekend at home golfing with my parents. It is always great to spend some time with my parents, a fortune often overlooked. We hit the greens on Saturday and give or take 15 mulligans, I thought I played pretty well. I'm no Rory McIlroy by any means but I was hitting greens, slicing smooth sod off the fairway on each hole. When you are hitting the ball well, your pants could be on fire and you wouldn't care.

Day 2: Went in with expectations - Big Mistake. Just when I thought I was grasping my game a bit, Golf soon taught me a lesson. As soon as you think you understand something, a sobering moment must come that you realize your blind ambition and you can see that maybe, just maybe, you know absolutely nothing at all. That is my golf game in a nut-shell.

Like with everyday situations, you must take each shot one at a time. Don't worry about the previous 5 mulligans or your overall score, don't worry about how everyone else is playing, just take your time, keep your head low, and swing smooth. And most importantly, just as you start to feel your rhythm, realize that for every new shot, you're still just a beginner.

Over and Out,
BDL

No comments:

Post a Comment